DRRR

DRRR

Postby eTraxx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm working on a small trestle to get an On18 line across a gap.

Experimenting with textures. My plan is to make it look as if the abutment had been poured in a timber mold. Ok. I KNOW someone will point out that generally .. the board in forms didn't bulge and 'generally' .. cement didn't bulge between them.

My reasoning for that is .. the boards used for a form were tongue and groove. That was because as the cement pressed against the form the pressure would actually lock the boards together.

Still. I have never allowed logic to stop me in the past. Tongues WOULD break and split allowing individual boards to bulge out .. and ridges of cement to ooze between the boards. For me .. that adds interest.

So. Some experiments ...

In the photo the bottom part there are two strips of index card glued to the board. In the top portion you see two outlined areas. The top one has a strip of index card as in the bottom and the lower one just the board. They have both been an experiment with oozing concrete. I placed some blue painter's tape leaving a small open strip. I then used some Acrylic Gel .. smeared sideways on the top strip .. and dabbed with my finger on the bottom. Pretty happy with the results (the strips are 1/4" wide by the way)

Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"
eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Re: DRRR

Postby reklein72 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Looks fine enough to me. It'd be cool if you modeled some portion of your structure still in the forms.Show lots of bracing and big stakes in the ground to hold the diagonals etc. Bill+
reklein72
Master of the MRRForum 200+ Posts!
Master of the MRRForum 200+ Posts!

Postby Rail and Tie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm

I really like the one you did in the upper portion of the photo. You might even make one stick out further on one corner to show that the form kicked out (maybe about a scale plank thickness) You might be able to model this by using a board for a dam and a razor blade to run the gesso against the board to create the ramp... if you know what I mean. The other thing that could add visual texture is to have a horizontal splice where two boards came together in a butt joint and some concrete oozed through.

Looks great as is though and just providing ideas that you can test so I can be lazy and see the results!! :twisted:
Darryl Jacobs
http://www.interactionhobbies.com
http://www.facebook.com/railandtie

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"
Rail and Tie
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby GregoryDeMayo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:35 pm

eTraxx wrote:.....I KNOW someone will point out that generally .. the board in forms didn't bulge and 'generally' .. cement didn't bulge between them.....

Edward:

You are correct and they would be somewhat incorrect. The cement did sometimes bulge the form boards before we had 3/4" plywood readily available for forming right around WWII.

Before plywood, a construction grade dimensional lumber, not always T&G, was used and if the vertical bracing was insufficient, it would, at the least, bulge the boards, and at the worst, it would lead to blow-outs.

If you can find buildings built before that period, you will definitely see a lot of form lines and a few bulges. Even with today's methods of forming (a good example would be a poured-in-place parking garage), you can still spot areas where a bulge occurs because of improper design or installation of the forming system.

Your abutments done with this method will look great and give you some interesting weathering opportunities with those bulging joints.

I'll follow along to see how it turns out.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus

St. Louis & Denver Railroad
GregoryDeMayo
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby eTraxx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 pm

reklein72 wrote:Looks fine enough to me. It'd be cool if you modeled some portion of your structure still in the forms.Show lots of bracing and big stakes in the ground to hold the diagonals etc. Bill+

That's an idea. Not so much for this abutment (supposed to be fairly old) but instead of just another building .. have one being built as you say .. or retaining walls. Hmmm. Now .. I like that ..
Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby eTraxx » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Started to fit the abutment to the left side .. rough fitting the rock around it. I glued it in place .. after the glue sets up I’ll finish fitting it.

Close-up of the abutment. I suppose I’ll call this a ‘rough paint’ and weathering. Some dry-brushing at some point. I may attach something to the side to add to the scene .. something metal so I can have rust stains.
I added a place that the form bulged out .. a few places that concrete oozed out fro between boards.
Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby eTraxx » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Working on the trestle. Following Les Parker's video on building a trestle I have the stringers laid out - held in gauge with some spare strip-wood. Once I have them cut to length etc. the ties will hold everything together.

Took this drawing of a two-food locomotive and scaled it to 18" gauge .. just for the fun of it.

Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby eTraxx » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Ok. Here’s the plan. I cut a length of wood that fits the profile of the trestle (to be). It is longer on both ends. With the temporary ties aligning the stringers taped to the underside of the wooden guide I have the extended bit on the wooden guide sitting on more ties. With a couple of weights – the stringers are where they need to be. I should now be able to build the bents to fit.

Edward Traxler
Deep River Railroad
L&CRR on Twitter

eTraxx
The 500+ Posting Club!
The 500+ Posting Club!

Postby NEMMRRC » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:58 pm

eTraxx wrote:
Took this drawing of a two-food locomotive and scaled it to 18" gauge .. just for the fun of it.

I'm always fascinated by how much of a narrow gauge locomotive is outside the rails. It's like it should tip over in a strong breeze.

Thanks for the updates. This will be a very nice scene.

Jaime
NEMMRRC
Over 7000 Posts!
Over 7000 Posts!

Postby gnatshop » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:05 pm

eTraxx wrote:Image

That fella needs, shall we say, "a much more color-ful and funky tie"!
Maybe Ralph can scan one of his for you! :ymdevil: :ymdevil

I really like the abutments - they represent a 'not so perfect' real world with some under-paid, un-appreciated,
and 'that's good enough' workers combined with their cost-savings (cheap lumber) bosses! :twisted: :twisted:

Looking forward to see the trestle completed! :D :D :-bd :-bd
David Workman
"My family tree has a tire swing on it!"
gnatshop@gmail.com
http://www.picasaweb.google.com/Gnatshop
gnatshop
Forum Master
Forum Master

Next

Return to The Craftsman's Workshop